Tuesday 4 August 2009

The Last Day Of My First Quarter Century

I leave for California in two and a half days. My car must be packed, my house cleaned and cleared of all of my things. I must be mentally prepared for spending four days in the car driving through at least seven states, three of which are composed primarily of desert. I am nowhere near ready.
This week marks the closing of the biggest chapter of my life to date. I have moved before, and moved far away, but there was always the knowledge that I was coming back home. It has begun to sink in, for myself and for my family and friends, that this may be the last time I am "home." For this move takes me to Orange, California to attend Chapman University. I will be working towards my MFA in Producing for Film and Television. My program is two years long and then I will be released to the lions that are the film industry in Hollywood. I have never been so excited about anything in my life, or so scared.
I am so lucky to have the opportunity to follow my dreams and pursue a career about which I am truly passionate. I am lucky to have the support of my family and friends. I am lucky in ways that I cannot count.
Tomorrow I will turn 26 and begin down the road that will lead me to a new place, new people and a new career. But for today, the sky has turned black and I will enjoy my last thunderstorm while I fit all of the clothes I own into a car topper and make my bedroom look like no one lives here. I will make last stops to visit friends and spend time with my family. I will tie up all the loose ends that come with changing your life. It will be bittersweet at best, but I will sleep easy knowing I am making the right decisions. I will be thankful for all I have.
And now, I will stop procrastinating and get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment