Saturday 8 August 2009

Road Trip!!

Day one of the cross-country road trip has come and gone. Day two is about to begin, and it promises to be just as long as the last.
Yesterday morning we got on the road at 8:30 and drove down to St. Louis. From there we crossed Missouri and into Oklahoma. (And, yes, I have been singing the musical non-stop since we entered the state.) The drive was fairly uneventful, it just went on for ages. Missouri looks very similar to Illinois (with the exception of hills, which are killing my gas mileage) but we've gotten to the red dirt in Oklahoma. Today is what I have been looking forward to: Texas and New Mexico! I've never been to the desert, and while I keep being told I will tire of it quickly, I can't wait to see it! If only we had somewhere to put some water in the car...
I have been talking to my roommate, Theresa, and figuring out all the fun stuff that goes with moving: internet, TV, refrigerators and decor. I am excited to get in, get settled and be able to use my own things for the first time in three years!
I received an email from school yesterday with all of my orientation information. Classes start on August 31st, but we are required to be there from the 24th to the 28th for orientation. This entails meeting with with all the incoming students, only the producers, the continuing students and faculty and staff as well as "boot camps" in several of the programs we will be using to make our films and acclimating to the facilities and the town. It will be a very busy week, but it sounds like it will get the year off to a good start.
I have emailed several directors about working on their second year films, so I will have meetings (in person and via Skype) set up as soon as I get to California. That will certainly be an experience, if nothing else!
Well, off I must go. We are aiming for 8am again today, which leaves 22 minutes for Daddy to get out of the shower, all of us to eat breakfast, check out of the hotel, get directions and get on the road. I don't think we'll quite make it. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment